What are miracles? Miracles are inexplicable phenomena and extraordinary events that astonish us. It can be a surprise, a happy turn in life, a cure, preservation or a natural wonder.
Whether we recognize and perceive miracles, depends on our point of view and above all on our faith. When we do not have faith, we take miracles as coincidences or luck, or we take for granted what is actually a miracle. We can live like nothing is a miracle or like everything is a miracle. Erich Kästner writes in a quote:
“Those who believe in miracles experience miracles”
When I look at the world and think about my life, everything is actually a miracle for me. Starting with the fact, that there is a huge galaxy with so many stars and planets, that there is the earth and life on it, to the miracle of man, who is made ingenious and unique. I think the lyrics of Alexa Feser’s song “Wunderfinder” are appropriate. She sings in the chorus:
“Are you a miracle child or blind to miracles? Tell me if you understand that we are a miracle. This world is getting more and more blind to miracles, if you can see them, you are a wonderfinder. “
If I keep my eyes open, I can discover miracles every day. For me miracles are signs of God’s presence and his actions. God shows himself in them and says to me “I am there”. Miracles happen, I just have to see them. Numerous miracles of God are reported in the Bible, in God’s Word:
Passage of the people of Israel through the Red Sea Exodus 16-22
Transformation of water into wine at the wedding in Cana John 2: 1-12
Calming the storm Markus 4.35-41
Jesus walks in the sea John 6: 16-21
Healing of the man born blind John 9: 1-7
Feeding the 5000 John 6: 1-15
Raising Lazarus from the dead John 11, 32-45
Jesus’ resurrection John 20, 1-10
Signs and wonders still happen today.
“Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever” Hebrews 13: 8
Where our possibilities end, God’s possibilities begin. Our hopelessness is the starting point for God’s work. Faith is the key to experiencing miracles. God is supernatural and responds to our beliefs.
“All things are possible to him who believes” Mark 9:23
Therefore, let’s expect miracles and be thankful for miracles great and small that God does every day.
- Every time the sun comes up a miracle happens
- Every time I watch nature I see a miracle
- Every time a child is born a miracle happens
- Every time people reconcile, forgive one another, a miracle happens
- Every time a prayer is answered a miracle happens
- Every time we experience protection a miracle happens
- Every time God gives us his peace, a miracle happens
- Every time God frees us from worries and burdens, a miracle happens
- Every time God opens new doors for us, shows us new possibilities, a miracle happens
- Every time people understand God’s love and accept His grace, a miracle happens
- It is God who works miracles, innumerable many, so great that we cannot understand them